Monday, March 21, 2011

The Month of the Plastic: Day 21

Geesh, has it really been two weeks since I posted last?  Shame on me!

My progress so far has been slow but steady.  I'll start with the bad news: I've hit a few bumps on the road.  I had one night where I was trapped at work and could not take a full break.  Meaning, I couldn't get home to make some food.  I had to settle for buying trail mix inconveniently packaged in plastic. (Technically, it took me two sittings to finish the bag, but I don't want to give myself that much leeway.)  I stood strong when a coworker offered to buy me a bottle of soda or water.  He laughed when I said I couldn't because of my self-inflicted restrictions.  "Are you one of those nature-types?"

My latest bump came when I went to the law school with Hasan for the day.  When it came time for dinner, take-out was my only option.  My food came neatly packaged in plastic and styrofoam.  I tried to make myself feel better by using wooden chopsticks instead of plastic silverware, but the damage was done.

I've also had another microwave meal or two that is despicably wrapped in plastic.  I haven't made my own microwave meals yet. 

Now, for the good news:  I think I'm doing pretty well.  I've been jumping at every opportunity to refuse using plastic, and so far, so good.  I think I am making an impact.  At the very least I am being more mindful.  There are a surprising number of times when there are no other options to plastic wrapped food and other products.  I've given up badgering my coworkers about giving out less bags.  The following story illustrates a large part of why.  I still ask every customer and a lot of people thank me for doing so.

Today at work, we got a little busy, so I spent some time at a register.  I was doing my usual thing, asking everyone "Would you like a bag for this today?"  when I got a funny response.

"Why are you asking that?  Do you not want to give out bags or something?" 

The woman actually seemed interested to hear my answer so I told her, "We don't mind giving out bags at all.  They're just kind of bad for the environment so I always ask every customer.  Not everyone wants a bag."

"You mean to tell me that people go around just carrying their stuff in their arms without a bag?  Stuff like this?"  She motioned to her two small, stackable, easily-carried-by-any-normal-person-with-one-arm items. 

At this point, I was confused.  Is she upset? I wondered.  She seems like she is just curious and a little confused.  Nearby DC charges five cents per plastic bag, so I was thinking maybe she thought Rockville had jumped on the bandwagon.  "Yes, ma'am.  Plenty of people carry stuff like this to their car, but I'd be happy to give you a bag today.  That's no problem, at all."  I bagged her stuff for her.

"But you don't like giving out bags here.  Why's that?  I think I need to talk to a manager about why you have a problem giving out bags here."

Right about... now, was when I realized that she was piiiiissed.  I thought it might be smart to not mention that actually, I am a manager.  "We don't have a problem giving out bags, ma'am.  I personally don't like giving them out, because it is bad for the environment, which is why I always ask.  I just want to give every customer the option.  That's all.  It's not a problem."

She gave me a cold hard glare/stare and I handed her her bag and told her to have great day.  Evidently she then cornered another manager and complained that Bed Bath and Beyond must be cheap if they don't want to give out bags.  It got passed up the line and my manager asked me later on what had happened.  I told her the story and she asked me  "So what did we learn here?"

I didn't have anything nice to say, so I didn't say anything at all.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know Kenna, I am one of those people who choose to carry my stuff in my arms - dropping it in the parking lot all the way. Teaches me to carry my recyclable bag into EVERY store - not just the grocery store. HABIT!!!

    ReplyDelete